about the course
What will you learn?
This 2D course for absolute beginners is an introduction to skills essential for becoming an artist in the digital media industry.
Students will learn the fundamentals of drawing, painting, and design. By the end of the course, students should have a good understanding of the tools and principles needed going forward in their studies, including breaking down images into shape and form, the elements of composition, and basic knowledge of software like Photoshop.
- Students will learn about the different disciplines of visual art and understand what they will need to study in order to round out their foundations as a designer
- Students will learn basic layout and editing tools of Photoshop
- Warm-up by practicing in the drawing medium of choice through simple drawing exercises and making value gradients. An inspiration board will also be assigned for students to put together, highlighting who they currently are as an artist and what their long-term goals are.
Learning basic shapes is the first step in learning the visual language of artists.
- Students will be introduced to how to recognize and break down complex subjects in order to better understand how to approach picture making.
- A workbook of specific images will be assigned to guide students on being able to simplify and draw out images with accuracy
- Photoshop basics: Layer management with shapes, overlaps, and editing.
Adding volume to simple shapes leads to visualizing forms
- Students will learn about the basic forms
- How they exist to guide us through all sorts of subjects in our three-dimensional world.
After a solid understanding of how shapes and simple forms are broken down, lighting a subject is the next step in order to create the illusion of depth;
- Students will be introduced to how to light very basic geo-forms using the skills they have learned in the previous weeks.
Learning to plan with the use of thumbnails is the first step into creating a successful design, whether it be an illustration, character design, or environment design;
- Students will learn to sketch out several small thumbnails in order to learn how to finish their first black and white piece based on the previous week’s drawing assignment.
Being able to compose an image is what separates a designer from someone who is just a slave to their reference;
- Basic compositional tools will be taught in order for students to start arranging their images in a way that better communicates their goals
- Quick master studies exercises will also be implemented in order for students to recognize great decision-making in designs.
- Students will be introduced to the three big elements of design: Line, Form, and Mass
- Through simple exercises and learning how to categorize different pieces of art, students will learn to recognize the different styles regardless of the artist, medium they used, or time period the art was created.
What do you need to apply?
Payment plans and other types of reimbursement available
start your creative career today
Discover more about
Because you are interested in this course
You might also like…
Do you need help from one of our student counselors?
Book a FREE consultation with one of our friendly Student Enrolment Advisors